Easter Weekend 2010

This weekend we took our annual Easter weekend trip to New Hope. But, in an effort to change things up a little, we actually stayed right across the river in Lambertville, NJ. We’d walked over the bridge from New Hope to Lambertville once before, but only had time to get lunch and take a quick walk down the main street, so I assumed there was much more of the town that we hadn’t seen yet, and since it seems like we’ve done all there is to do in New Hope, we thought we’d give (ugh) New Jersey a try. We were wrong, but I’ll get to that later…

We both took Friday off work, and headed out around 10 AM. Our first stop was the t-shirt shop where GG painted the mural last year. They’ve now put it on bumper stickers, business cards, mugs, and every price tag in the store! People love it! He also worked with them to design a shirt for a band’s cruise to Jamaica with their fans, and they tie-dyed around his printed design, which looked awesome (this is a picture of a picture, but you get the idea).

After that visit, we went to a new restaurant, The Sandbar, for lunch. Until recently, this was a very fancy and expensive restaurant called 90 Main, designed to appeal to visitors from New York City. Now it’s sort of a Cuban place that prides itself on its margaritas. We didn’t drink, but we did have delicious pressed sandwiches: GG had a traditional Cuban sandwich (with American cheese instead of Swiss); and I had a grilled cheese with Manchego cheese, Serrano ham, and fig paste. I hope this new place does well there – it’s in a great location, with outdoor seating, and it was a gorgeous day, but there were no other customers in there when we arrived at noon, and only a few when we left around 1:00.

We walked around New Hope for a little while longer, before driving over to Lambertville to check into our bed & breakfast. We stayed at the York Street House, and it was great. I only wish it were over in New Hope! This was probably the nicest B&B check-in we’ve ever experienced – the owner was super friendly, it was non-pretentious, and we got a little tour of the lovely historic house. We went up to our room and ended up taking a little nap, before getting cleaned up and going out for the afternoon and evening. I chose this room because it was one of the less expensive ones, and the bedroom itself wasn’t that big (still plenty big, though), but it was connected to the original master bathroom, which was large and includes a footed bathtub and beautiful stained glass window. We were very happy with the room.

Our dinner reservation was for 6:30, which gave us a few hours to kill walking around town. I figured that if it was like New Hope, there would be plenty to keep us occupied. Wrong. Sorry, but Lambertville kind of sucks, especially if you’re not into antiques. Almost every store we came across was an antiques store. (Yes, I know Lambertville and the surrounding towns in NJ are famous for antiques shopping, but I figured they’d have other stuff, as well!) The first shop we went into was the most horrible pet boutique ever. The owner of Picky Paws, Margo, was completely rude to GG and I. I don’t curse (I don’t!), but the moment we walked out of that store, the first thing I said was, “What a b*tch!” So stay away from that place! Luckily, the rest of our interactions with the townspeople were much better! We went to a puzzle/game shop, some neat housewares places, the used instrument shop we’d visited before (but without that crazy guy working there, it just wasn’t as interesting), and a coffee shop, where we got some fancy sodas. We even took a walk down a little path by the canal. After all that, we still had some time before dinner, which we spent on a sunny bench on Bridge St., watching people go by.

Finally it was 6:30, and we were very excited for dinner at No 9 Restaurant (which does not have its own web site, but has excellent reviews all over the internet). It is very small, and from what we saw, there is one chef, one waitress, and another woman who seats people and clears the tables. The food did not disappoint! I also have to say, the waitress was so sweet and she was totally into the food – the way she described the specials, you just wanted to try everything! I got iced tea to drink, which was apparently her own concoction, and it was probably the best iced tea I’ve ever had. To start, GG had a plate of steamed mussels (he saw someone eating them when we walked in, and knew he had to have them), and I had an awesome salad featuring beets, blue cheese, and walnuts. Then for dinner, GG had Atlantic Cod (served with spring vegetables like new potatoes, peas, and spinach), and I had hanger steak (with grilled vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a wedge of brie!). We were pretty stuffed at that point, but still were able to split a creme brulee for dessert.

After dinner, we went back to the B&B, where we read some of their books in the living room before going up to our room and passing out pretty quickly – all that walking around in the sunshine all day was tiring!

On Saturday morning we had the best B&B breakfast we’ve ever had: perfectly ripe cantelope with fruit salsa and French toast with sweetened cream cheese and blueberries (that even got GG to eat cream cheese!). Before checking out, we had a nice long chat with the innkeepers. These are definitely my favorite innkeepers of all the B&Bs we’ve stayed at! We went to Peddler’s Village for a little while on our way home, and also checked out the outlets across the street (got GG a couple nice polo shirts for the summer, and some sweaters for next winter – there were great sales!). All my pictures from our trip are on Flickr.

After unpacking, I talked GG into going food shopping with me – something he hasn’t been able to do for a while with all the extra time he’s been spending at work. We rested at home for a bit, and then we went to a 30th birthday party that night for one of GG’s relatives. That was… interesting. The only person I knew there was GG’s brother, and GG only knew his cousins and aunt. It was kind of like a frat party with grown-ups – complete with keg stands by the time we left! Really not our style…

Yesterday morning, we went out to Easter brunch with my family, then went back to my grandmother’s house to help move some furniture. I took a nap when we got home, then we went to GG’s parents’ house for dinner. For some reason, even though they knew we were on our way (GG had just talked to his dad before we left!), they ate right before we got there and had literally just finished when we showed up. So that was weird. We had our dinner while everyone else had dessert, then we had dessert, then everyone sat and talked for a while and meanwhile I started feeling really sick. I don’t think GG understood, even though I kept telling him I felt dizzy and like I was going to throw up. We finally left, and when we got home GG picked up some DVDs and went out again to watch them with a friend who’d invited him over. Meanwhile, I sat on the sofa with an ice pack on my head, before running to the toilet and losing that nice dinner and dessert. I felt much better afterward, though! Nobody else was sick, as far as I know, so I doubt it was anything I ate. Kind of a sucky ending to a really nice weekend :o/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *