Long Weekend, Kitchen Sink, Star Trek, and Stuff

My long weekend, which I thought going into it was going to be very boring, actually turned out to be pretty busy!

GG left on Thursday morning to go work at his parents’ shop for the weekend, so I was on my own from the time I got home Thursday night (after running some errands on the way). I think just about the whole company took the day off Friday, so it was very boring and quiet at work. Eventually we were given the word from our department’s management to go home at 3:00. I usually leave at 3:30 anyway, so it wasn’t like a huge bonus for me, but it was still nice. I went out to Target on Friday evening, and then spent the rest of the night just hanging around at home.

My uncle came over on Saturday morning to replace our kitchen sink! This was the one thing I had planned for the whole weekend and I was so excited. We figured it’d be pretty straightforward – pop the old sink out, pop the new sink in, set up the faucet. Well… nothing is ever simple in this house. The original sink wasn’t even attached to the counter or anything, so it lifted out easily. However, that also allowed water to seep under the sink so the counter was kind of rotting a little. Then we dropped in the new sink, and it didn’t quite fit. Something I didn’t know about sinks, was that they have tracks underneath them to attach with clips to the edge of the opening in the counter. The bowl of the new sink fit in the hole we already had, but there wasn’t room for the tracks. So we had to cut the opening a little wider. Of course, I guess our counter is not a standard depth, so there was barely enough room front to back to cut the opening. I figured we’d have to trim a little something, and I was prepared for some mess, but I didn’t expect the amount of sawdust we got all over everything!

Eventually the hole was widened, the sink was going to fit, and we set up the faucet in the new sink before dropping it into place. That’s when we discovered that we would need some sort of adapter to connect the new faucet to the water pipes, because they were different sizes. My uncle and cousin ran out to Home Depot while I stayed home and tried to clean up a little. Seriously, the saw dust was everywhere, and I will probably be finding dust in little crevices for a long time to come. When they got back, my uncle went to attach the adapters to the pipes and… something on one of the pipes came apart. It was like the thing the adapter screws into, which was supposed to be soldered onto the pipe, but I guess it came un-soldered? So he said he could cut the whole end off the pipe and get a new piece, but there wasn’t enough room to cut the pipe there. So he went into the basement, cut the pipe down there, cut off the end, and… went back to Home Depot! This time I came along, and taught them a shortcut. (Luckily, Home Depot is relatively close to our house.) We got the one little necessary piece, came back, and soldered everything back together (luckily my uncle brought his blowtorch!).

After that it was fairly smooth sailing. The faucet went together, the sink went into place. The only problem in the end was that there wasn’t enough space in the front or back of the sink to attach the clips, so there’s a small gap in the front and back edge of the sink. We were going to seal it with caulk, but actually my uncle called last night to say he’d thought of a way to attach the clips at least in the front. So we’ll just be careful now about getting water under there (even though there’s plumber’s putty under the edges of the sink this time), and hopefully in a few days he can come see if his idea works. Here’s all the sink pictures, including a few shots of the cats checking out the action.

Julie invited me to go to her birthday dinner Saturday night and I assumed I’d be done with the sink in time, but I’d call to let her know. She called me literally as we were carrying the old sink out the door and finishing up with everything. I said I’d be able to make it still, so I ended up having less than an hour to get cleaned up, dressed, and over to her place to drive to the restaurant. I had hoped I’d have time to take a nap or something first, so I was pretty tired and just generally sweaty and gross feeling. But we all rode up to dinner and it was actually a really nice time. It was mostly her and Brad’s families, and a couple friends. We went to this really unique sushi restaurant that made tons of unique rolls. Of course, I don’t eat seafood, so I didn’t partake – but I know a lot about sushi, so I appreciated it. They ordered a boat (which was a huge wooden boat in the middle of the table filled with a variety of sushi), and several other special rolls that came out on platters. One of the unique things they did was make sushi with various vegetables/rice/fish that are wrapped in more fish, instead of seaweed. So it was basically a big pile of fish all rolled up together. Which, if you’re into that sort of thing, I’m sure was awesome. I ate teriyaki chicken. By the time we left I was feeling really tired and dizzy and headachy. I don’t know why I felt so sick if all I ate was chicken, but when we got back to Julie’s place I was about ready to pass out or throw up. I had to go to my mom’s place to water her plants, so I went there, and after watering them, I took a nap on her sofa for about half an hour. When I got up I felt well enough to drive home, so I just came home and fell asleep.

Sunday morning I was feeling better, so I spent most of the morning finally cleaning up the kitchen. There is probably still dust on some forgotten surfaces, but I really majorly cleaned everything. And I vacuumed, swept, and mopped the floor. I went out food shopping later, but mostly stayed home, on the computer. I discovered a new band I love, Tally Hall, and they have tons of internet content, so I pretty much spent all night watching their videos and listening to their music and stuff. They are very similar to TMBG (and coincidentally are managed by the same company), but they also have aspects of some other singer/songwriters, The Beatles, and many others. Really great group.

GG came home early this morning. We’d been thinking about going to see Star Trek today, and Julie said she and Brad were also thinking of going on Monday, so I called them up to see if they wanted to go together. They did, so we went to a late afternoon show and then went out to dinner and then went out for Dairy Queen. The movie was really good, I was very impressed. I just have two complaints: 1) there was too much “Spock Prime” (as he was listed in the credits) – I thought he would be a quick cameo, not a major character in the movie; and 2) too many catchphrases! GG and I were practically checking them off a list as they said “Fascinating,” “Damn it I’m a doctor, not a physicist!” and “I’m givin’ her all she’s got, Captain!” The only one they didn’t use, which several times I was sure was coming up, was “Beam me up, Scotty.” Also, as GG pointed out, because of the time travel aspect of this film, they can pretty much do whatever they want in sequels because they’ve created an alternate timeline so it doesn’t have to follow the original timeline at all. Pretty clever, JJ Abrams. Also, great soundtrack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *