My Long Weekend

My three-day weekend was relatively eventful, I guess. GG went down to Virginia to work at his parents’ place for the busy holiday, so I didn’t see him after he left for work Friday morning. I ordered some Chinese food for dinner Friday night and started cleaning up around the house in preparation for Monday.

On Saturday, I got up early to do some errands (getting food for Monday, feeding the in-laws’ cat Penny, etc.), and then my mom came over and we went out shopping. We went to Ikea to get some vases. She needed 20, and she had a little cart and a system for how she packs them. When we got to where the vases were, there was this young couple there also picking up large quantities of the same vase, and it turned out they were using them for wedding centerpieces. The girl was very carefully examining each one and sitting some to one side, passing the others to her fiance to wrap in paper and stack in a box on a cart. My mom just started grabbing 20. Then the girl was like, “Oh, you might want to check them, because some of the vases have air bubbles in them.” Um, okay chicky, have fun checking your hundreds of vases for tiny air bubbles that nobody’s even going to see when they’re filled with water and flowers. After that, we tried looking for a shoe rack, but couldn’t really find anything. So when we left Ikea, we also checked Target and Bed Bath & Beyond, but still no real luck on the kind of shoe shelves my mom wanted. She found one piece of a component system at BB&B, but it was the last one they had and only two shelves tall, so she just got it to try out. Then we went to the supermarket to get the rest of the food for Monday, and I got a small salad to take home for a late lunch/early dinner.

I ate the salad around 4 PM and then I had the most horrible headache. I attributed it to being out shopping all morning, not eating lunch, and spending the day with my mom, all of which have been known to give me headaches. So I took some Advil and lay down on the bed. Next thing I knew, I woke up a couple hours later and felt much worse. I couldn’t even sit up. I was nauseous and sweaty and it was awful. I ended up throwing up and feeling horrible for the rest of the night. I blame the salad. Who knows what caused it, though I always find it kind of cool that your body can recognize when you’ve eaten something bad, and it’s like, “Okay, we’ve gotta get that out of here!”

Since my whole Saturday was pretty much shot for doing anything around the house, I stayed home all day Sunday (after I fed Penny) and just cleaned everything. The nice thing about GG not being home was that I didn’t have to worry about him following along behind me and messing things up again.

Finally, Monday came. I did some last-minute cleaning, baked brownies, and made dip. A couple hours before people were supposed to start arriving for dinner, I heard really loud rap music coming from outside. Like, really loud. It sounded like I had a radio turned all the way up inside my own house. After a couple songs, the volume went down significantly, but it was still extremely loud. (I assume the police, being only one house away, heard it and told them to turn it down.) When my family showed up, they thought I was playing music in the house, and I had to keep explaining that it was the neighbors. I looked out the window and was shocked to see that in their tiny backyard they had set up a giant PA system with speakers on stands! This was basically the equivalent of the Mexicans’ party a couple years ago. The music continued until about 9 or 10 PM, though they eventually started playing Motown stuff, old Jackson Five songs, and even the Electric Slide! Anyway, dinner went great, everyone just did their part and we had a ton of food (as expected). My mom brought hamburgers and hotdogs that we cooked on my grandmother’s George Forman grill (because it’s bigger than mine). My uncle made potato salad, I made corn on the cob, a caprece salad, and the aforementioned brownies and chips and dip, and we had tons of beer and sodas and wine coolers. Oh, and everyone kept commenting on how cute my Whim dishes were :o)

GG got home around 5:30, just as things were wrapping up, so he still was able to see everyone before they left. Then we spent the rest of the night relaxing and watching a marathon of Lock-Up on MSNBC. (Some of them I’d seen before, but some I hadn’t – those Alaskan prisoners are so laid back!)

Starting this week we’re doing Summer Hours at work, so I’m working an extra 45 minutes during the week to leave three hours early on Fridays. I think it’s going to suck while I adjust to the extra time – I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself until 4:15!

4 comments on “My Long Weekend

  1. “So I took some Advil and lay down on the bed. Next thing I knew, I woke up a couple hours later and felt much worse. I couldn’t even sit up. I was nauseous and sweaty and it was awful. I ended up throwing up and feeling horrible for the rest of the night.”

    Maybe you’re pregnant…

    Also, I love “Lock-Up”, but Julia won’t let me watch it because looking at all those dangerous criminals who have so carelessly thrown their lives away makes her sad :(

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *