Heather’s Wedding, Vacation, Mulaney

Vacation was nice, and very relaxing… but I’m glad to be back, too. So, here’s what I was up to in the last week:

Saturday: Heather and Joe’s wedding was so nice. Of course. Heather planned every last detail. It was at a beautiful old mansion, with the wedding outside in a garden, followed by an indoor/outdoor cocktail hour, and the reception in the big hall inside. The weather was perfect (Heather had been worried about it being too hot). Heather looked beautiful, and most importantly, she looked like herself, just dressed up. The ceremony itself was nice, with a couple funny parts. For one, the priest’s little sermon or whatever consisted pretty much entirely of a synopsis of the 1977 movie Oh, God! – the moral of the story was that god gave us each other. I wonder if Heather had any clue that was coming. Also during the ceremony, the best man tripped and dropped the rings! But we later found out that it was a planned prank, he fake tripped and dropped some coins or something. (Later on, he gave a really funny toast, too.) The reception was a lot of fun, because everyone from work was seated together, and of course we’re all friends. I even danced a little!

Sunday: We didn’t leave for vacation until about 1 or 2 PM… because GG is lazy. Of course, we traveled through Girdletree and Stockton and all that. We got there at dinnertime, and had a little of what GG’s parents were having. I went to bed pretty early. Oh also, it was GG’s birthday :o)

Monday: To celebrate his birthday, GG’s parents took him (and me) to Crisfield, MD, which is the crab capital of the world or the country or something. He got a big tray of all-you-can-eat steamed crabs. Plus soup, hush puppies, corn… I had a burger, since I don’t eat seafood. After lunch, we walked around the town a little bit, and also made a stop at the Sysco Cash and Carry store – which I had heard so much about, but never been to! We both went to bed pretty early, to prepare for the next day.

Tuesday: Since the Colonial Williamsburg passes we got for our vacation last year are still good until Sept. 20, we figured we’d get another day’s use out of them while we were in the area. Tuesday and Wednesday were both possible days to go, and I chose Tuesday because it seemed less likely to rain. Well, it didn’t rain, but it was 95 degrees and humid. We left around 7 AM, and drove south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Guess what – we didn’t miss the restaurant this time! After stopping for breakfast, we continued to the mainland and then turned north towards Williamsburg. It was around this point that we got stuck in a little traffic (rush hour, I assume), but we got to the historic area around 11 AM. Since we were prepared for more of a gray, rainy day, we were both wearing jeans, and I had a sweater tied around my waist. Not needed! It was so hot and humid, I felt like I was melting as we walked around. We didn’t go to most of the sites we’d been to last year, and instead tried to hit things we’d missed last time (the print shop, courthouse, the magazine, etc.). We stopped for a refreshing colonial treat called Shrub, which is raspberry sherbet in a cup with lemonade (or cranberry juice) poured over it. Then we made our way over to Merchant’s Square for lunch (and air conditioning!). We went to The Cheese Shop, which we’d enjoyed so much last year, and got sandwiches. Then we sampled and purchased some cheeses. We were going to also go to the Williamsburg Winery to get some of their wines to bring home, but I saw that they carried a large selection of WW wines in the wine shop downstairs! Some of the wines cost a little more than at the winery, and some were a little less, so it evened out and saved us a trip. We could have stayed all day, but I was so hot and miserable (and I’m assuming GG was, too) that we left in the early afternoon. That night, we went to play mini golf and GG beat me by only one stroke! Since I’d been going on and on about how horrible I am at mini golf, he thought I’d been lying, but really that was just an amazing, fluke game.

Wednesday: This would have been the better day to go to Williamsburg. It was cool and overcast, but didn’t rain. Oh well. We spent most of the day walking around town, going in little shops and taking pictures. It was GG’s parents’ anniversary, so we went out to dinner with them that night at the nicest restaurant on the island. (That isn’t saying much – there’s nothing in that town that you can’t wear jeans to.) We played another game of mini golf at a different course, and GG beat me by ten strokes, so I think that finally proved how awful I am at the game. I think the course was much harder, though. We both had scores way above par (or below par? what’s the proper term when the goal is to be lower than par?).

Thursday: We didn’t do too much on our last day on the island. GG made me a delicious Belgian waffle for breakfast, as promised the night before. Then he drove us around for a while, and we stopped to look at some ponies that were just penned up by a hotel. (Some of the hotels advertise that they have ponies on premises, as that’s of course one of of the main draws to the island.) We spent the rest of the day lounging around, and left in the early evening. We stopped in Ocean City, MD on the way home. Usually we go up there for a day during our vacation, but since it’s north anyway, we just made it a slight detour on our way back. We got dinner and walked along the boardwalk for a while, as well as the next block over, where there’s some cute shops and things. We got home around 9:30 PM, which wasn’t too bad at all. The cats wouldn’t let us touch them at first – they were like, “Where were you?!” But within a couple hours they’d warmed back up to us. You can see all the vacation photos here.

Friday: Did some errands, hung out… Then it was time to drive in to Philly to see John Mulaney! (Oh, also Greg Fitzsimmons, and Jim Tews.) First we went to Qdoba for dinner. Then we went to Capogiro for dessert. I’d e-mailed John the week before to see if he was interested in meeting us for gelato (our treat!), but never heard back from him, so I guess not. Oh well, maybe it was creepy, but the place is only a block away from Helium, so whatever. We got to Helium about an hour early, and sat on the couch in the bar watching The Simpsons until the doors opened. The first two rows were reserved seating, but we got good, center seats right behind that. Host Jim Tews was really good – and looks a bit like Jake Gyllenhaal, I might add. Then came John Mulaney! He is funnier in person than he is on TV and the internet. Even though I’d heard almost all the jokes before, I still laughed my head off. (Oh PS: He is super cute.) Greg Fitzsimmons was also really good, I guess GG is a fan of his from the Howard Stern show, which I wasn’t even aware that he was on. After the show, he’d set up a table in the hall to sell CDs, and GG stopped to talk to him for a minute. Then Jim Tews joined him there, so I was like, “Great, where’s John?” But he wasn’t anywhere to be found. We were on our way out the door, when GG asked one of the security guys, “Look, I perform here on open mike nights, my wife is a big fan of John Mulaney, do you think it would be possible if we go backstage..?” The guy just stared blankly at GG. So we kind of headed back towards the backstage area, and then, from the bathroom, appeared John Mulaney! He was like, “Oh hey, you made it…” and then he looked at GG and agreed that they do weirdly resemble each other. Meanwhile, I’d had things planned to say (like, “How did you enjoy performing at MU [my alma matter] last night?” or “Happy birthday!”), and I had my camera in my hand for a picture, but somehow my mind went totally blank. So he was like, “Hey, thanks for coming out,” and I kind of stammered, “Well, thank you… um… for coming to Philadelphia.” Also, he shook my hand. And then GG was like, “Why don’t you give her a hug?” So he kind of one-arm hugged me. It was weird. I would’ve much perferred meeting for gelato. Next time, Mulaney!

Saturday: I wore pajamas all day. At 3 PM I got dressed for my grandmother’s birthday dinner at Maggiano’s. Tons of food. After dinner, GG and my mom and I went over to the mall, and he put up with us very well as we shopped around Sephora, shoe stores, etc. Oh, they totally redesigned Payless and I hate it! Instead of being arranged by size, it’s now arranged by style (you know, like a reglar shoe store). My mom was ticked off, too. I mean, it looks nice, but I liked being able to go to the size 9 section and not having to worry about seeing something I liked and then it wasn’t available in my size. I think I might write a complainey letter to Payless. Also, I bought a 3-piece set of luggage that was on sale for $29.99. (Perfect to take to Florida in January..!)

Sunday: GG and I went out and did some errands… somehow I also ended up with two pairs of shoes. Whoops.

Monday: Back to work! I felt like I was going back to school after summer vacation. It only took me about an hour to go through all my e-mails, and there’s only 8 or 9 that I actually need to act on. Soo… better get back to that.

2 comments on “Heather’s Wedding, Vacation, Mulaney

  1. Holy cow, what a time! This entry must have taken you a long time to write but I loved all the details and pics so I consider it time well-spent! So I wonder what the Sysco store was like since I semi work for them and all…

  2. It took me about an hour and a half to write everything and get all the pictures in… but I did it at work, so it’s okay ;o) I’m pretty impressed that you read the whole thing!

    The Sysco store was talked up quite a lot, but it was really just like a regular little grocery store. The only thing was that it was only Sysco products, obviously (but they make literally everything, so it wasn’t like things were missing), and also there was a shelf of “sale” items like dented cans.

Leave a Reply to LolaGeek Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *