The handyman called me on Wednesday last week and we planned for him to come out Friday to do my little job. GG and I went out Thursday night to get the doors and medicine cabinet for him to install (we ended up getting two, since the opening was an odd size), as well as new hardware (towel bar, etc.). The hardware style I picked was, of course, on clearance and therefore they were sold out of toilet paper holders in the style I liked. So GG hopped on the computer at Home Depot, found a nearby store where they still had a bunch, and we stopped there, too. (I found out from him yesterday that that style is actually a “buyback,” meaning they’re sending everything back to the manufacturer, so I got them just in time!)
Friday morning, I was slightly annoyed that the handyman’s assistant, Luis, came out, instead of the actual handyman, Jim. I’d been impressed when Jim came to give his estimate because he seemed really familiar with houses the age of mine. There seemed to have been a lack of communication between him and Luis, because Luis didn’t have the right tools or boards or anything. It worked out, though. And I did speak to Jim on the phone before and after the work was completed.
Luis got to work first on replacing the bifold doors on our laundry room and coat closet. Of course, we’d gotten the wrong height door for the closet, so GG had to buy a different size at work and drop it off at his lunch break. So Luis did the laundry room doors first, and they looked really good, except I caught him literally just in time before he started drilling holes for the knobs in the wrong place!
Since we had to wait for GG to bring the other door home, he did the medicine cabinet next. The old one was actually grouted into the wall, so he had to kind of chisel it out. When he finally removed it, we discovered that there was a hole behind the cabinet where you could see into the bedroom closet (and vice-versa). So I had to remove all of GG’s clothes from the closet for the next part. We decided to try to fit the 24″x25″ medicine cabinet into the 22″x26″ hole in the wall. So he had to cut an inch off each side of the opening, which meant cutting through the tile and then kind of carving away at the wood frame. He did it! Then he put a wood shim at the top and bottom of the opening, to fill the height gap. He got the new cabinet in and caulked everything up, and it looks beautiful!
Hole from the bathroom into the closet
After that big project, Luis was able to quickly replace the other closet door and also cut a board to fit our weird little “step” in the bathroom (that a guy stepped on three years ago and put a major dent in). He finished up for the day, I talked to Jim the handyman, and then I got to work on my own projects.
Most of my Friday was spent removing the existing wooden hardware from the bathroom, spray painting the doors to the big cabinet (out in the garage, where bugs ate me), and taping and painting all the wood trim in the bathroom. There were also a lot of nail holes left in all the trim, so I spackled that. Between all the various coats of paint on things, I was painting for most of Friday and a little of Saturday (when I painted over the spackled screw holes from the wood hardware).
Tape and spackle around the new medicine cabinet
All the painting done, no hardware yet
Sunday I had a concert, but I figured I’d have time to hang up the new hardware in the morning. Well, barely! I thought I’d start easy, with the towel ring – nothing to really keep level, just one point on the wall. Ugh! I had to drill, put in plastic anchors, then screw in the mounting bracket and screw the actual towel ring onto that. And the wall was all crumbly. After that, with my confidence built up, I moved on to the toilet paper holder. A little trickier, since it really needed to be level and the two brackets had to be the right distance apart. I nearly went crazy over that one – not because of the measuring and keeping it level, but because the wall pretty much ate my plastic anchors! Next I thought I’d do the robe hook, which I was hanging on a wall where nothing had hung before. There’s probably a reason for that – I could only drill half as deep as my screws were long. I have no idea what that wall is made of! So I gave up, got some shorter screws, and screwed them into a new set of holes. I don’t know how stable that’s going to be, so I just told GG he can’t hang anything too heavy on there, or be pulling on it a lot. Finally, I did the towel bar, which turned out level and properly spaced as well.
Once we got our towels and rug and toothbrushes and stuff back in there, it definitely felt more homey, but it still feels so bright and clean and white in there, with just that little extra bit of white trim, and the bigger mirror. I love it!
It even looks good at night!
I still have to paint the wood cabinet above the toilet white, but that is another project for another weekend…